Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Apple Bars. Mmm mmmm good.



I'm sorry. I couldn't resist. I went ahead and made those apple bars that I wanted. Much to my dismay, because it made the already sweltering apartment that much worse. >.>

Aren't those swirls so pretty? Wanna know what that is? Brown sugar, cinnamon swirls. Mmmmm cinnamon.

Silly me though. . .I used too big of a pan. So instead of apple bars I now have apple. . .crisp? I stuck them in the freezer. I'm hoping that they'll harden enough to be able to get them out of the pan in bars.

Even though I made a boo boo on the pan size they were still divine. I love this recipe so much.


Here's the recipe that I used(I think it'd be best to double it and use the size pan that I used in the picture):

  • 1 cup sifted all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup chopped apple


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9x9 inch pan.(I used a 13X9 I think it is, to be honest I'm not quite sure XD)
Sift together flour, baking powder, and teaspoon of cinnamon. Then set aside.
In a large bowl, mix together melted butter, brown sugar, and white sugar with a wooden spoon until smooth(I used my stand mixer).
Stir in the egg and vanilla.
Blend in the flour mixture until just combined, then stir in the apples.
Spread the mixture evenly into the prepared pan.
In a cup or small bowl, stir together the 2 tsp cinnamon and 2 Tablespoons sugar; sprinkle over the top of the bars.
Bake for 25 to 30 minutes in preheated oven the finished bars should spring back when lightly touched. Cool and cut into squares



Now this is optional, but I recommend it, because well. . .it just totally adds to the bars. I make a homemade glaze and cover the bars with it when they are still slightly warm.




Glaze(these are kinda approximate, because I just kinda throw stuff together until it looks and tastes right):

4 tsp butter
1-1 1/2 cups powdered sugar(enough to make the glaze thick)
1 tsp almond extract

Melt butter in a microwaveable bowl. Mix in powdered sugar. When the mixture is thick, mix in almond extract.
Spread on top of bars.
Indulge =)

No comments:

Post a Comment